Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Charlie

He was a boy with a disability, yet he had the ability to touch so many lives.  I feel so lucky to have known Charlie.  He first came into my life in 2003, when he entered into my preschool class at The Children's Center for the Visually Impaired.  From the very beginning I knew there was something special about Charlie... I felt drawn to him, and loved spending time with him in the classroom.  Charlie couldn't communicate in the same way you and I do... he had his own unique way.  His smile was infectious, and when he was happy... you knew it.

This past spring, I had the opportunity to photograph Charlie with his Mom.  It was so good to see him, and to see how much he had grown.  His mom shared school pictures, and stories... memories, and the many silly things Charlie loved to do. She also shared concerns and sorrows...  Charlie had been through, and struggled with a lot.  I'm so grateful for the time I had with him that day, because this past Monday, Charlie passed away.  I had been to the hospital just the day before to visit him.  I was able to hold his hand one last time, and before I left his side, I felt him squeeze back.... almost as if he were saying goodbye.  I'll never forget that little moment we shared.

His death is bittersweet.  Bitter in the fact that he is gone, but sweet in knowing that he is no longer in pain.  Sweeter still, is the fact that I believe I will see him again... only then, I will see a different version of Charlie.  A Charlie whose body is whole... A Charlie who can run and walk... A Charlie who can speak and see clearly... A Charlie without pain.  It will be like meeting a whole new person.  What an amazing moment that will be!

I love these images of Charlie with his Mom... So special!







Charlie, you were loved by so many, and you will be greatly missed by all of us.  Thank you for touching our lives... thank you for your smile and laughter... your silly ways... Thank you for being you. I look forward to the day I will see you again...
I cannot wait to meet the new you!

3 comments:

Leah Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 7:27:00 AM CDT  

Thank you for sharing, Christina. You are so right; he feels no more pain. There is peace for him. God bless his family and those who love him during this time. Like I said before- you were an angel for him, now he can be an angel to you...

Leslie Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 1:41:00 PM CDT  

That so brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing this with us. And you did a great job showing how much his mom loves him.

Click Photography Owner Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 12:53:00 PM CDT  

Bitter sweet indeed. Just goes to show how precious these photos will be to you and all who knew him. It was meant to be. Thanks for sharing his story.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

WeddingWire Bride's Choice 2011

Weddings, Wedding Venues
2011 Bride's Choice Awards | Best Wedding Photographers, Wedding Dresses, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florists, Wedding Planners & More

About Christina

One of my favorite memories from my own wedding, aside from marrying my husband, was when my Dad walked me down the aisle and I leaned over and whispered to him, "I'll always be your little girl."  I love that moment!
     It's moments that make up our lives, defines who we are, and ultimately create our destinies.  Many such moments have brought me to where I am today.  I began photographing in 2001, and began Sandberg Photography in the fall of 2006.  This has been a huge dream of mine, and I believe that God has given me a gift of capturing unique and special moments; without Him, I am truly nothing!  I owe this dream to Him!
     

Review me on Wedding Wire!

Back to TOP