Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Vendor Spotlight :: Victorian Gardens

The sweet fragrance of lilacs filled my senses as I stepped into the home studio of Victorian Gardens; the aroma of orchids and tulips were soon to follow. As I entered the room, I found Amy, the owner of Victorian Gardens, and her mother and husband dutifully at work. A little snip here... a little spray there... a few steps back to make sure each arrangement was just right. Without even knowing Amy, you could sense she takes great pride and care in what she does; and she does it well! I met Amy several months ago at the wedding of Rebecca and Eric. I was impressed with her work, and asked her if I could do a spotlight on her and her business. I asked her a few questions in which you can find her answers throughout the images below:

How long have you been a florist?

I have been a florist for 14 years. As a child, I developed an eye for design and a passion for flowers and natural elements. I remember picking flowers from my mothers garden, spending time to place each flower in its special place in a glass until the flowers looked perfect. The dread of the first frost knowing I'd have to wait until spring to see the little heads of daffadills and crocus poking through. The desire never subsided and I knew that this is what I was designed to do.
What got you interested in starting your business?

Working in retail flower shops for years, I learned of the markup on flowers. Most people had to pick-up their own flowers or just get them dropped off to weddings. There was no personal attachment to the brides, and It seemed to make their day much more hectic.
I realized that I could supply a better product without the mark up, while offering a personal touch with the delivery, set up, and helping to remove items for the clean up afterwards. This helped to personalize each wedding for each bride. Each bride is different and should be treated as such.

What do you feel sets you apart from other florists in the wedding industry?
My personal touch to each bride, attention to detail, and I love when a bride adds any sentimental items, or heirlooms from her collection. The more creativity brought in, the more personalized and unique each wedding becomes.
What kind of flowers did you use in your own wedding? Would you still make the same choice now if you were getting married today?

I used calla lilies, roses and Queen Anne's lace. I was married 13 years ago and the styles have definitely changed. My bouquet was quite large. That was the style, but it was very heavy and most of my dress was covered in the pictures. Now, I meet with each bride so that her bouquet is custom fit for her.
What do you enjoy most about working in the wedding industry?

Every bride has a vision of what her day is to look like. Some since they were a young girl or others that have just started to plan the day with their new love. I enjoy bringing that vision to life and helping their dreams come true.
I also enjoy the artistic design of bringing several element together to create a complete and finished look. Transforming a blank space into a breath taking new venue or complementing an already lovely existence by magnifying or accenting its beauty.
When meeting with brides who don’t know much about flowers, what is the biggest tip you find yourself giving them?

Find pictures or look through ideas supplied by me. Trust is an important aspect in planning a big day. I will put ideas together and make sure we are always on the same page. It is the brides vision I want to create, not mine. I love ideas and am open to any suggestions from our brides no matter how challenging others may think. Creating is what keeps life fresh and new.
What current trend in wedding flowers do you most like personally?

I love the variety and addition of taboo flowers. Years ago certain elements would have been unheard of. Thistle was a weed and grasses and branches were never added. Now pods, mosses and many other elements are adding textures and details. Nothing is off limits and floral design is now more of an art form and an expression of ones self.
Are there any other fun facts that you would like my readers to know about you?

I am very much a people pleaser. I want each of my brides day and the process to be as stress free as possible, and I want to help create their dream day wedding. I will help with ideas for strict budgets and add special details to every wedding. I have a hand in all of the work and get to know my brides personally. Many times I miss them after their time with me is done. My business, Victorian Gardens, has thrived in this business over the past several years through referrals. We know that a respectful reputation is what will keep us at the top of our league. Along with quality, product, and helpfulness, is exceptional service. We focus entirely on weddings and events, so we can offer levels of design and service that retail florists can not. Making your day as stress free as possible is our goal.
I have to admit, I did not hire a florist for my own wedding, but after meeting Amy, I want to get married all over again and have her put her personal touch on it! Amy is very genuine, and her personality shines. She truly cares about each client she works with, and strives to give them her very best. If your in the market for a florist... especially for your wedding, I highly recommend Victorian Gardens! For more information, or to contact Amy, visit her website at
http://www.victoriangardens.com

4 comments:

Lesa D. Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 7:36:00 AM CDT  

Thank you so much for featuring Amy and Victorian Gardens!She is such a sweetheart and amazingly talented with her art form.Amy does all the flowers for our church with such an incredible eye and touch for detail.She is always more than a joy to work with!!

Anonymous Friday, June 5, 2009 at 8:38:00 AM CDT  

Amy is doing my wedding August, 2 this year! I am so excited to have her for my wedding. She is a lovely person to work with. I can't wait to see what she does for the wedding! I know it will be just beautiful.

Stephanie Ann Photography Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 1:22:00 PM CDT  

This is the coolest thing! What a great idea. The florist is amazing.

Camille Elise Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 4:24:00 PM CDT  

This is SUCH a great idea, to have a Vendor Spotlight, all the pictures are great. Future brides would be so lucky to have all this informatioN!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

WeddingWire Bride's Choice 2011

Weddings, Wedding Venues
2011 Bride's Choice Awards | Best Wedding Photographers, Wedding Dresses, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florists, Wedding Planners & More

About Christina

One of my favorite memories from my own wedding, aside from marrying my husband, was when my Dad walked me down the aisle and I leaned over and whispered to him, "I'll always be your little girl."  I love that moment!
     It's moments that make up our lives, defines who we are, and ultimately create our destinies.  Many such moments have brought me to where I am today.  I began photographing in 2001, and began Sandberg Photography in the fall of 2006.  This has been a huge dream of mine, and I believe that God has given me a gift of capturing unique and special moments; without Him, I am truly nothing!  I owe this dream to Him!
     

Review me on Wedding Wire!

Back to TOP